Skip to main content

Fried Chicken and the Secrets of Almond Meal Pancakes

I have almonds in everything. If I'm trying to avoid eggs, I'll throw some in fried vegetables for protein in the morning, I mix almond butter with carob powder and raspberries for a dessert or just eat it plain, and I recently discovered the many uses of almond meal.

I'd had the suspicion for a long while that I could make fried chicken with almond meal breading and, after looking up a few recipes to get a vague outline, I gave it a go with my lets-just-try-it-and-see cooking style. It was awesome, though perhaps a little flavorless.

I tried to make it again last night and it was AMAZING> amazing. So good. Next time I'll even measure myself so I can try and do it again.

Another food I've been missing is pancakes. I love pancakes. And it turns out you can make them with almond meal. I tried to make them for the second time this morning with questionable success.

Well, I wasn't going to to do it at all, but I ran into a problem with a cracker recipe. Knowing I didn't have enough time to dehydrate them last night, I decided to mix it and set it up so I could pop them in first thing in the morning. As soon as I had the flax seeds soaking, I realized I didn't have sesame seeds. So I went to get them and when I came back, I realized I had to food process my sunflower seeds, and my roommate who sleeps by the kitchen had already gone to bed.

Anyway this meant that the flax seeds soaked overnight, turning them into a gelatinous blob, more or less. Then, I realized I only had two cups of sunflower seeds when I needed 4, so I had to half my recipe. That meant I had half a gelatinous blob left over. What to do with half a gelatinous blob of flax seeds?

PANCAKES> MAKE SOME PANCAKES>
Of course, I did not consult a recipe. Morning is too early for reasonable decisions. This was my second attempt at almond meal pancakes and here are some secrets I've learned about the process.
1) Keep a greased pan
if you don't, your pancakes will burn. simple enough.
2) But not too greased
almond meal pancakes are thin, and when you pour them into too much oil, the oil will infiltrate making them more like lattice cookies, but floppy ones that won't flip. And they'll burn.
3) Do not try to make them thicker.
adding a bunch of almond meal so that it's extra thick just means that it will take forever for them to cook enough to be firm enough to flip, and they'll burn.
4) Keep your heat low
they burn easy.

Basically, almond pancakes, while delicious, leave a lot to be desired in the baking process. I'll figure this out at some point.

As per usual, I don't have measurements, but here's a vague guide to play with for these things

FRIED CHICKEN
Set up your station
  • Take skinless, boneless chicken breast. Cut into 1/2" strips - ish. Set aside.
  • Whisk up 1 or 2 eggs in a bowl (depending on how much chicken you're making). Set aside.
  • Pour out a lot of almond meal on a dish. Add seasoning. Set aside.
  • Heat up 1/4" of oil in your pan.
Do it
  • Take a chicken strip.
  • Dip it in eggs. Shake off excess.
  • Dip in almond meal mixture. Get it really heavily breaded if possible.
  • Put it in the pan.
  • Repeat.
  • Flip at some point.
Eat, and be really really pleased with yourself.
For seasoning, this time I used salt, pepper, thyme, chilli powder, cumin. It was awesome.

The pancakes included these things:
  • 1/2 c flax seeds (whole) and 1/2 c water - soaked overnight
  • almond meal
  • coconut milk
  • more water
  • xylitol
  • vanilla
  • pinch baking powder
When I make these work I'll include more direction

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Long Blocks

The distance between school and the subway stop is three long blocks. Three blocks is not very far to walk, but three long blocks stretch into an eternity. Three short blocks would be one thing, but, as far as i'm concerned, the difference between a long block and a short block is approximately half an hour. Over the course of three short blocks, one can only think something like "should i get cigarettes? yes. no. yes. no. well now i've passed the tobacco shop and now i'm at school." Over the course of three long blocks, by contrast, one has time to contemplate the very meaning of a cigarette. What does it mean if i smoke a cigarette now? Is it different if i buy a pack or bum one? Is it different if i bum one from a friend or a stranger? If i offer some money in exchange? Do i even want this cigarette in the first place? Why? Does it have something to do with a general fear of success or a fear of failure? Is it self-sabotage or escape that embodies itself in t

On My PGPs (they/them/their)

In some of my friend groups, asking for a new acquaintance's PGPs is commonplace on first encounter -- checking in about PGPs periodically, too. In most other friend groups, "preferred gender pronouns (PGPs)" are a completely strange concept. Given the first group of friends, I am frequently stunned when I meet someone who has never heard of PGPs. Put on the spot, as I often am, I've been giving a lot of impromptu explanations.   I've been refining my brief description: "Acknowledging preferred gender pronouns is important because gender identity is not a visible quality and we should work to speak authentically with and about one another. When someone refers to me as "she" they are not referring to me but of their own preconceived notion of who I am."   I've been automating my grammar response: "We already use 'they' to refer to one person of indeterminate gender. For example, A: 'my friend will meet us at the

Eulogy for Rusty Sharpe

Rush Limbaugh is a relative of mine. A very, very distant relative. I have never spoken to him and I am certain as I can be that he didn't know I exist. I only know we are related because my great uncle is a historian of "pioneer" history which includes our family. Anyway, I remember learning that he was my grandpa's third cousin (or something like that) as a kid and -- knowing only that he was some measure of "successful" -- being sincerely appalled that he wasn't doing anything to help me and my cousins pay for college. ba dum ba. For reasons I don't entirely understand, I feel compelled to claim him. I have no interest in denying or downplaying the very real harm he willfully ignited or his commitment to moral decrepitude. But I very genuinely hope he finds peace. May you rest May your heart break open May your fear become ridiculous to you May the hatred you gripped tightly now slip through your fingers May your deceptions become heavy to those w